Are you a morning person? A night owl? Either way, you should try to wake up in the morning to run with the sun as it rises at least once or twice a month if it’s not already a habit. Sometimes the most obvious reasons for doing a thing should be shared, just in case it’s not obvious to everyone. Below are 10 reasons you should run as the sun rises.
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, it knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn’t matter whether you’re the lion or a gazelle-when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.
10 reasons to run at sunrise
1. Noone else is– The solace of the morning is unmatched. To have the trail, path, sidewalk, or road all to yourself is a powerful, and rare thing. When you are driving to work and you see the hustle and bustle you will have that solitary moment to draw from to know that for a moment of that day, the world was yours and only yours.
2. Part one of two a days– As you get more fit, running more than once a day isn’t obsessive, it’s necessary. You might not have the time to run for 3 hrs straight but running for 90 minutes as the sun rises and 90 as the sun sets will do your fitness good.
3. No excuses– As the day goes on, life happens. Schedules change, kids need you, work needs you, you feel tired. Run first thing in the morning and you a guaranteed your run.
4. Energy– EPOC or excess post-oxygen consumption says that your metabolism peaks after a bout of exercise and will slowly decrease over as many as 30+ hours. Simple said,your body will use oxygen more efficiently after vigorous exercise. This is good for burning more calories at rest and feeling more energized throughout your day. You knew you felt better after a run, now you know why!
5. Wildlife– There is a trail in Colorado that has a single coyote on it every morning at 6am. He forages for food, stretches, and plays to get his day started. It’s such a cool thing to be a part of. Wildlife has a schedule that typically starts earlier than we do. It’s invigorating.
6. Uh, pictures– Hey, this may be a sad reason but wow are the sunrises photogenic. Time for some legitimate photography on your instagram!
7. Plan the day– The meditative nature of running allows for deep thinking. Plan out your toughest tasks so when you get to the job site, the computer, or wherever you work, you will have already done the task in your mind all morning. This will make it easier and less stressful.
8. Perspective– The mornings are a good time to take in the beauty around you, realize how small you are in the world and how big you are to those people in your life and what it all means. How can you make the world a better place? We should all think about this all the time but getting the day started like this is great.
9. Pre sit work– We all have such sedentary work lives. If you are going to be sitting for four or five hours of your day, it feels good to know that you have put some work in to earn in. We used to run so we could eat whatever we want. Now we are running to sit for as long as we need. Some of us anyway.
10. You are training for an Ultra– When do 95% of all races start? In the morning. It is smart to get your body used to waking up early and training. If you only run in the evenings and after work you are going to be in for a surprise when you finally get to the trail on race day. It’s sports specific training!
These are only 10 reasons to run in the morning. What reasons do you have? Which of these do you really like? We would love to hear. Now set that alarm and get running!